Sunday, September 12, 2004

Remembering Those Worth Remembering

When I think about that morning, it feels like it was just this morning. There was a knock on my bedroom door. And I yelled, "I'm up!" -As is my custom, because I hate to wakeup, so somehow yelling that I'm up makes me feel like its okay or justifiable to keep my lazy but in bed for another five minutes. I heard Carolyn yell through the door, "Get up! We've been hit! Get up!"
I immediately became filled with fear. My emotions were running rampant. I didn't know what to think, or what to say. I ran out of my bedroom and into the living room. I sat there on the couch, in awe and utter silence. I cried uncontrollably. I kept my eye on the TV at all times. I made sure that when I left for work I knew what was happening. I listed to talk radio all day and the news all night. Hoping. Praying. Thinking to myself, "We have to do something, but what?"
The next few days were a blur. I remember saying things that I normally would not say. I remember mustering up the courage to tell someone that I loved them and could not live without them. Thinking, "What if Phoenix is next? Will they know how I feel?" Suddenly I was right with God, and right with everyone I knew.
I thought to myself, and I prayed to God. I thanked him for sending us a leader as wonderful as George W. Bush. The right man for the job. The one who would stand up and protect us.
As we near the election, I get tired and I get fed up and I think, I just want to go home. I want to see my family, I want to see my friends. Then I remember those worth remembering. The thousands that died on September 11th. The millions that died at the hands of Saddam Hussein. I cannot think of a better reason to get to the polls on November 2nd and make sure that George W. Bush is re-elected than those men and women that fight on daily to make sure I have the freedom to vote. He will make sure we are still a strong and protected country, at least for another four years.

No comments: