Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Don't Get Married If You Can't Stay Faithful

What happened to people getting married and staying married, and more importantly, staying committed to each other? Has everyone on the face of the Earth forgotten their vows once they say "I Do?"
I was watching Fox News this morning (as all good republicans do), and they did a story on websites that are catering to marrieds looking for dates. They listed several websites, and there was one owner and operator of a website that actually admitted that he too cheated on his wife.
I know that it may seem naive of me, but I'm an old fashioned kinda girl. Once I get married, I am hoping and praying that my husband will stay faithful to me, and that we will stay married, "Till Death Do Us Part..."
I met a man this weekend who was in the middle of his second divorce. He had two children with both of his ex wives. He was only 34 years old, and extremely self centered. I was trying to read this man. He was not bad looking, by any means, but the way he carried himself was quite awkward. He said his second wife had cheated on him several times, but he still loved her. Well, I've never been in this situation so I can't really judge, but knowing my personality, it would have to be an act of God for me to stay with someone who did that to me, but is there a chance?
I don't condone cheating on spouses, or significant others for that matter. But what the heck has happened to our society? The divorce rate is rampant, and on one website alone they listed over 160,000 members looking to cheat on their spouses.
Something is extremely wrong with a society that would condone such behavior. In a recent poll taken, 50% of men and 40% of women cheat on their spouse. Which leads me to the question, why even get married in the first place?

1 comment:

Jessica B. said...

I could not agree with you more. This story has been posted for a bit on Foxnews.com as well. I can't imagine that there are companies and individuals out there benefiting financially off the demise of someone's marriage. Unfortunately it's a fact of life that people fall in and out of love...That does not mean you should stay together and cheat on your spouse. Val, I'm like you, and I too must be naive in thinking that when I get married, I hope that it will be the one and only time that I get married. And like you, I don't understand how someone could stay with someone that cheated on them (hence the reason I'm not married at this point in time!). It is sad to see our society take marriage and family so lightly these days.