Monday, August 09, 2004

Reverence and Awe. The Importance of Having Good Friends & Faith in Your Life

I received an email from a VERY good friend this morning asking for prayer. I began thinking of how I have my own issues that I could use prayer for. I then asked myself, why am I not using the God-given gifts of His very own people? The Bible says that if two or more gather together in agreement, that whatever you ask will be heard.
I then started thinking about how as Christians, or mild-believers, our tendency is to only go to God when we need something. We only pray for our friends when they are need. Why do we not lift them up in times of strength and peace asking for continued blessings?
One of the greatest aspects of our Christian faith is that we are surrounded with others that believe as we do. They are there to lift us up, to encourage us, as we are to be there for them. There is much uncertainty in life. I think that God purposely makes life this way. It forces us to fully rely on Him, to 'lean not on our own understanding.' If we knew every turn that we would take in our lives, we may not ever reach our full potential, we would never be forced to face trials. We would never fully grow or be stretched.
Life was not meant to be comfortable. We were meant to step outside of our comfort zones, to think outside of the box, so to speak.
So I said all of that to say, prayer is important. Having friends that are like minded are important. I am thankful for every person that has ever prayed for me, every person who has ever influenced my life in any way, shape or form. I am glad that I don't always know where God is leading me. I am glad that sometimes I look ahead & cannot see what is in store. I am also thankful that when I look back, God has always lead me to where I am standing now. I never have to fear what lies ahead, He is always with us, and He will never leave us or forsake us.
"Serve God acceptably with reverence and Godly fear for our God is a consuming fire." -Hebrews 12:28-29

No comments: