Monday, February 21, 2005

To Love What You Do & Feel That it Matters...

Katharine Graham from the Washington Post once said, "To love what you do and feel that it matters, how can anything be more fun?"
I think this statement is 100% true. At least for me. I have been struggling because I have been working two very unimportant jobs lately, and I am quite bored. This makes me want to slit my wrists or jump off the side of the building, just for kicks.
Its not to say that working for a water company isn't important- I mean, If I didn't have hot water in my house, someone would die. And If I was getting married, then perhaps I would find more significance in someone that was a wedding consultant, but alas, I just don't care.
Last week at our young adults group the Pastor was talking about how we spend our time. Do we use our time wisely? How we spend our time is a reflection of our life...I soon thereafter tuned out of the discussion and started to think...
If there is someone who spends even 40 hours a week working a job that they hate, then I agree that they are not spending their time wisely. If there is someone who is working 120 hours a week (as I did) doing something that they love, and are called to do, why is that a waste? I believe wholeheartedly that when you are hard wired to do something, and you are good at it, and it is what you love to do, then why is that a crime? Working in politics, I was always happy to get up and go to work, I almost never left my office. I slept only a few short hours a night and was lucky to have a few days off in the four and half months I officially worked for the campaign. Is that a crime? Did I waste my time?
I don't think so. January 20th told me that it was well worth my time. If you are doing what God has called you to do and glorifying Him for the opportunity to be able to do it, then I think you are right on track.
I only hope that I am blessed enough to be able to do what I love again...

3 comments:

Ace said...

Ugh, welcome to my world, Val.

thelovelyval said...

I know...I sound like a spoiled rotten brat. But I am what I am...

Ace said...

Not at all. Wanting more out of life is a primal urge of the upwardly mobile.

My advice is to develop a broad strategic plan, encompassing a series of progressively ambitious, yet attainable goals. Go about your business within that framework, but don't get bogged down mentally with the daily grind. As long as you keep the plan in mind you'll be just fine.