Thursday, November 18, 2004

Changing Leaves, Changing Lives

Here I am in our Nation's Capitol. Well, not really. I am sitting in an apartment in Rosslyn, VA. But same diff. I am a hop, skip & a jump from D.C. (literally about 2 metro rides away, or 10 minutes).
Okay, so anyway, like I was saying before all of the technicalities- I'm here in Washington, D.C. and it is so beautiful! I love it here. All around me the leaves on the trees are changing colors and there are squirrels frolicking in the brightly colored red & orange piles. It is so different from what I am used to. This place is so picturesque. Almost like a Thomas Kincaid painting or something.
I have met a lot of really great people while I have been here and I am enjoying my time so much. Thinking about moving here is scary, but at the same time very exiting. It is a chance for me to prove to everyone, but mostly myself that I am capable of being more than a secretary or a housekeeper.
I remember back to when I was younger, and even just a couple of years ago, all I wanted to do was get married and have kids. That was because I didn't think I could do anything else. Not that I am implying that marriage and family are small feats or insignificant in anyway, I just didn't have drive or ambition for anything else. I was merely going to settle for the least, what I could get by with in life without trying.
Here I stand today. I am young, intelligent, and ambitious. The only problem with that statement is that so is everyone else in this town. I have had to prove my whole life that I could do things that everyone else said was impossible, showing the nay-sayers that little people can do big things. So here I am, waiting for someone, anyone to give me a chance to be more than an assistant. Begging for an opportunity. Hoping that someone will see in me a spark or something different. I know that I don't have a higher education, so I will have to work harder than others that have a degree (or five), but I don't mind working hard, I've done it all of my life & I will do it until the day that I die.
I will be traveling home next week for Thanksgiving and hopefully by then I will have an update as to what is to come for me. Until then, I will keep pounding the pavement, so to speak (and boy do my feet hurt!) and annoying people until they give me a chance.

A few quotes on ambition to leave you with...

"If you have a great ambition, take as big a step possible in the direction of fulfilling it. The step may only be a tiny one, but trust that it may be the largest one possible for now." -Mildred McAfee

"A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it." -Unknown

"The men who succeed are an efficient few. They are the few that have ambition and will power to develop themselves." -Herbert N. Casson

"Great ambition is the passion of great character." -Napoleon Bonaparte

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." -Thomas Carlyle

"To those of you that earned honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, can be President of the United States." -President George W. Bush

(that last one was my favorite, I afterall was a C student!)

No comments: