Thursday, December 02, 2004

Apathy, Party of 200, Your Table is Ready

Well, I was shocked when I logged onto to the Arizona Young Republican website (www.arizonayr.com) today to read the "Victory" note that was posted, along with a dashing photo of our President. I love that so many people take so much pride in doing so little. It would have been more proper to say, "Thank you Danielle, Amanda, Gabi, Val, Jess..." (I know I have left out a few names, but unfortunately, not many.) I hate to sound bitter or hateful, but here I go anyway.
Since when does being a part of an organization, by name and a membership due ONLY, entitle you to the fruits of others labor? I can name on one, MAYBE two hands the people who were faithfully out working at the grassroots level to see our President re-elected, from the YR's group. It's amazing how NOT EVEN OUR CHAIRMAN went to phone banks, and actually MADE CALLS. I mean, it's one thing for you to go and do the work and occasionally chit chat, as Danielle, Jessica, Gabi & I did, but it is QUITE ANOTHER to show up & not do a damn thing. I understand that people are busy. I understand that we all have lives. Let's take a little pride in our country though. This effort was not an effort to elevate ourselves in the eyes of others, but to elevate our President in the eyes of his constituents, fellow citizens and neighbors.
In two years we have to make damn sure that we get Napolitano out of office. Will the YR's turn out in FULL FORCE then, or will it be another pathetic attempt to look as though we are working, but really not doing much of anything? What would have happened if George W. Bush was not re-elected? How many people would have then said, "What could I have done differently, or more so to change the outcome?"
We should never have to ask ourselves this question under any circumstances. The answer should always be, "I HONESTLY did everything I could."
One hour a week makes more of a difference than no hours ever.

1 comment:

Jessica B. said...

Well said Val...it is sad when people just come out and get all the rewards, but don't do any work. We were all there to help the President (and THANK GOD we can still say the President - hard work pays off), not further our own careers by PRETENDING to work. Gotta love those martyrs.