Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Pomp and Circumstance

I think I am beginning to grow up. Seriously.
Today I went for coffee at the Capitol Hill Club. This is a pretty prestigiouis place, located next to the Republican National Committee's headquarters and across from the Cannon House Office Building. As I walked in I noticed that I was relatively unaffected by the fact that I was there.
I didn't care if Karl Rove was inside, I just was unimpressed. Who cares about getting into a place that you have to be a "member at" just to have a cup of coffee?
Maybe as I get older I am harder to impress, or maybe as I get older I care less and less about impressing people or having to be impressed.
Why is it so important for people to be known? In the movie "Anchorman" Will Ferrell's character is at a party & says to a woman, "Hi, I'm Ron Burgundy, I'm pretty important. People know me around here." I feel like that is EVERY person I meet here. I like that the woman responds with, "I'm very happy for you." These are my exact sentiments!
I am tired of the game. I am tired of people wearing their resume's on their sleeve. Who cares who you work for? Who cares how you dress? I don't care if your bag came from Coach or Target, if its cute, work it. I am tired of people only talking to you if you can do something for them. I am tired of people only hanging out with people that look a certain way. I am tired of the BS, basically. Everyone needs to CHILL OUT!
Am I naive, or does the rest of the world operate this way? If so, I never noticed it before, and I'd like to go back to where it is doled out in more subtle undertones of arrogance.

3 comments:

Mal said...

I think at least part of that may be that "those people" don't actually DO anything. I mean, if the world fell apart tomorrow, what good would any of those people be. That actually goes for many of us - but most of all to the most "important" people in our society. Knowing how to speak well politically will never grow an ounce of wheat or a pound of beef. And if the world blew up - the only skills worth having would be life skills - blanket making, pot making, food raising people. Face it folks - most of us are useless!

Mal said...

Still, I think it would be cool to "bump into" George Bush. [smile]

thelovelyval said...

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure if Karl Rove or Ken Mehlman were actually in there I would be singing a different tune. i mean these people are ingenious. However, I agree with you. Most of us are useless for the most part. i just think that making someone feel good about themselves or being a decent and kind person is so much more important than who you know or what you do for a living.
Tonight has proved that to me more than ever before.